Pages

Monday, November 25, 2013

Fake It 'Til You Make It

Really, I'm the only one here?
Sometimes plans fall through and it's necessary to improvise. Such was the case this weekend when our carefully planned pack walk became a family walk when nobody else showed up. You may remember that last week I posted a Craigslist ad seeking walking buddies for The McGee and me. We got a few promising replies, but for a variety of reasons, this time it just didn't work out.

I must admit, I'm feeling a little bummed out. I knew it wouldn't happen all at once, but I'm struggling to trust that I will find people who will understand what I want to create. I thought it might be helpful to post my mission statement in the hopes that it will reach more people. So here it is:

Mission Statement: The purpose of the pack is to create a supportive outlet for people and dogs to practice their partnership skills in the presence of others on structured group walks. We will strive to be excellent examples of the canine/human relationship wherever we go. We will also have compassion for ourselves and others as we understand that every relationship is a continual work in progress!
 
So there you have it. My mission statement for what I hope to bring to fruition.

Fake Dog doesn't bark back.
I do have to shout out to a couple of groups that are providing the inspiration for this project. Two Pitties in the City is a great resource in offering logistical advice about how they went about founding their own walking group, the Chicago Sociabulls. The Seattle Walkabulls have their own meetup group and seem to be incredibly well organized and well attended. While McGee and I are not located in a large metropolis like Chicago or Seattle, I aspire to follow in their footsteps/paw prints.
 
For the time being, I've started a Facebook group where I will post details for upcoming walks. You can find it at Pits & Pals Pack Walkers (creative name still in the works). If you are interested in participating, follow the link and request membership.
 
In the meantime, and in the spirit of improvisation, McGee has been practicing with a fake dog. That's right McGee, fake it 'til you make it baby.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...